Friday, March 12, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Favorite Charities


I have been wanting to take part in the "Show Us Your Life" for several weeks now and what a better week to start than when talking about Charities. There are a few charities that are near and dear to my heart.

The Pink Campaign for Breast Cancer Awareness
Throughout my life, I have had several people close in my life diagonosed with breast cancer. A church mentor Denise Driscoll and a close family friend Cathy Gilley. Both lost their battles and was heart breaking to my and everyone close to them. Due to them, I have bought anything in "pink" that I can from CD's to measuring cups and even just donating money to the cause. It came even more real to me last year when Chris's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent surgery and radiation and is currently surviving cancer free. I also participate in other cancer charities as well, including through the American Cancer Society. Chris and I have each lost a grandfather to cancer and have seen first hand what this disease can do.

ASPCA
This is another charity near and dear to my heart. I cannot watch the commercials for the ASPCA without breaking down in tears. I admit that I am an animal lover. Chris and I consider our pets our children and have spolied them. I cannot imagine people who don't treat their animals well. It kills me to see a abused animal or mistreated. For me, those people need shot. If you aren't going to take care of your pet, then don't get one. I donate regularily to the ASPCA and even sport ASPCA checks.

St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital
For me, there is possibly nothing more heartbreaking than childhood cancer. A close friend of mine, Heather, had cancer as a child and with the help of the St. Jude's Research Hopsital has beat it and at 24 is now living a normal and cancer free life. My entire family donates to this charity annually. My father jokes (when he is mad at his children) that when he dies he will donate his money there instead of giving it to his children. I wouldn't mind at all. It is a great cause and needs lots of help.

Adopting a Family
My favorite charity work comes around the holidays. Ever since I was a child, my family adopts a family for Thanksgiving. For Thanksgiving time, we purchase everything that a family could need for a perfect Thanksgiving dinner. For Christmas, we not only handle all of the food for dinner but also purchase gifts so that children have gifts to open. This is my favorite Christmas shopping of the year, knowing I will never see the look on the face of that child but knowing that I made their year. The law school also does something similar. Students can adopt children whose parents are in prison. I have done this every year too. It's a great feeling and I hope that my children get the same joy out of it as well.

These are my main ones, but I am a softy and often donate to others as well. Any time shopping and the checker asks me to donate money to something, I always do.


No comments:

Post a Comment