Monday, October 4, 2010

Loving Imperfection

So, I was talking with this girl today at work. She stated that her husband is "perfect" and that they never fight. As adorable as I think it is for someone to call their spouse/significant perfect, I just don't believe it.

I would love to be able to tell people that Christopher is perfect, but we all know that he isn't. I am not perfect either. No one is. But part of falling in love and being together is knowing the imperfections, accepting them, and learning to love the other person, despite the imperfections.

I know that I have my faults and I try not to hide them. I tend to be an open book in terms of who I am and in my personality. I think that it most important is being able to be honest with each other. But Chris and I have been together for so long, it would be hard to keep a major fault under wraps for 7 years. I have had to deal with a few quirks of Chris that I never thought that I would have to. But I love him and want to be with him, so I deal with everything. I am thankful for the faults. It makes us realize that we aren't perfect. It makes life interesting and gives us something to talk about. But the best part is that knowing that although he is not perfect, he is perfect for me.

Chris and I are complete opposites in many ways. He is so laid back and go-with the flow. Me on the other hand, I am a psycho control freak and obsessive planner. I like to think that we balance each other our in that respect. Plus is makes our life interesting. I have had to learn to let control of a lot of things and have also taught him to be a little more OCD. I don't think that I ever could have got along with a partner who was just like me. That would just not have ended well. I am thankful that Chris isn't just like me. He challenges me in many ways and also helps me to realize where I am wrong and allows me to see the other side.

Chris and I are similar in other ways. We both have very traditional and conservative values. We both love family and have become bery close to each other's families. We are both hard working. We both are willing to make sacrifices of ourselves just to make something better for someone else. We are puppy people. We are also both in love with our little farm house in the country. These are the things that brought us together and keep us together. We are alike where we need to be and different enough in other ways to keep the other guessing and keep like interesting and wonderful.

Lastly, the girl mentioned that her and her husband do not fight. I do not understand how this is even possible. Two people cannot possibly agree on everything. To me, this would make life boring. I would hate it if Chris agreed with everything that I said. I would also hate to feel like I could not be honest and had to bend to his every opinion. Anyone who knows me, knows that isn't me. I feel like people who claim to never have disagreements are not being true to themselves.

Not everyone will have huge fights and I don't think you should, but there has got to be disagreements. That is part of life. I even have differences of opinions with my closest friends and family. Chris and I have fights. We both have terrible tempers and are opinionated. We are both stubburn and have a hard time letting go of a point. Though we have learned through a relationship communication class that passioinate fights are okay so long as we both fight like that. Plus, people who fight passionately also love passionately.

Plus, if you never fight, you never can make up. That is sad. There are times that I would like to start a fight just to make up.

Hopefully, I didn't offend any one else by writing this. I just think that some people are not living in a reality. People are not perfect. The point of life is finding someone to love despite imperfections. Love is also about being honest with yourself and your partner, even if it means you don't agree.


1 comment:

  1. That lady is lying!!! And if I didn't know better I would think I married Chris! Kody is the same way!

    ReplyDelete