People talking about tax returns had been cluttering up my news feed on Facebook over the past few weeks. People are bragging about how much they are getting back or complaining because they haven't got W-2s back yet and really needed the money. This absolutely drives me insane for many reasons. I have been venting to my mother and Chris but I'm sure they are tired of hearing about it, so I will just post on here.
1. W-2s only have to be mailed out by the end of January. That is the law. If you do not have a W-2 back by January 5, please stop complaining. The employer does not have to make special concessions just because you are desperate. It reminds me of a saying my dad quotes a lot
"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine"
2. Stop going and getting loans on your tax refunds because you are so desperate for money. Doing a regular filing takes only about 1-2 weeks to get your money back. Surely, you aren't so hard up that you couldn't make it 2 weeks to get the actual return. Plus, if you are desperate for the money, those loans are hella expensive. Maybe you should budget yourself a little better next time.
3. If you happen to be one of those people who took out the loan on your refund, stop complaining about how expensive it is. It is the law of supply and demand. If you are desperate for the money and need it now (now singing the JG Wentworth in my head) then you have to pay the high price for it. It is just the same when you go to a payday loan or title loan company. If you don't like the fees, don't pay it.
4. You may think that it is amazing to get back $10,000 on your taxes. (I typically do not think you deserve it, but that is a whole 'nother topic). I would like to remind you that while you have been bragging about getting back that much money, you should realize that one of the reasons you people get back that much money is because you keep producing children (most of the time that you cannot afford anyway). I know the government typically helps you raise your children with healthcare, WIC, foodstamps or whatever program you are on, but honestly, in all reality it takes more than $10,000 a year to raise your 3-5 children. So, as great at that number seems to you, think about how much it cost you over the course of a year to get that.
I will also remind you that I don't get much back at all (I think last year I got $400.00) so you are welcome for supporting you and your family.
5. Quite talking about your BIG plans for your refund. Most of you are desperate for this money and need it to get caught up on bills. Maybe you should pay your bills off instead of paying the minimum and blowing it on something stupid and something you don't need. Additionally, savings is a great idea if you have kids too. If you would get caught up on your bills this year, maybe next year you won't be waiting around for your tax refund and can do something great with it.
I think that it about all that I have to say at the moment. Happy Thursday to everyone. Looking forward to a weekend of warmer weather.